Thursday 17 January 2013

My discovery of Tunisian Crochet!

This is just a quick post as I wanted to write a little bit about how I started this form of crochet. About 3 weeks ago I stumbled across a video of Tunisian crochet, I only clicked on it because I had not heard the word Tunisian before, and not only did I think it looked great but I couldn't believe how easy it was. A quick Google image search into Tunisian crochet pillows and patterns and I was determined to try it. I started off by making two very small squares and I couldn't believe how simple it was!

This is a great YouTube video to show how to follow a pattern:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dyO-yQd7Ozg

I really could not wait to start my own Tunisian crochet picture, and because my boyfriend loves Mario I did a quick search for Mario patterns. I found a few, and put my favorite ones in Excel to follow. These are the red and green "1up" mushrooms from Mario that I made:



I didn't want lots of wool crossing over on the back of the work, so I made lots of small balls of wool of each colour. This meant that I was changing wool every couple of stitches at some points, and had about 20 ends to weave in afterwards! From start to finish (including weaving in the ends) each picture probably took about 3 hours. Having seen other people's blogs and how fast they complete their crochet I hope I will eventually pick up some speed, but I'm very content at the moment to go at my own speed and I'm very happy with my little pictures.

I'm not very good at biting off only as much as I can chew, and my new current project is no exception! I'm going to write about it in my next post as it's going to be quite a long project :)

Isobel Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment