Tuesday 15 January 2013

Memories of my first project

As I mentioned in my first post this blog is just so I can share my learning and experiences, and something I think everyone will always remember is their very first completed project, so I thought I'd share mine.

Obviously the very first thing I made were about 50 crochet squares whilst I was getting the hang of holding the hook, controlling the tension, picking up stitches etc. (it's amazing to think back to how hard I found it and how second nature it is now!). Once I'd really got the hang of that I headed off to YouTube to look for a project to make, and I saw lots of lovely purses and bags which inspired me to create a little purse of my own. Because I could only really do squares from double crochet I decided to make a rectangle and then fold it up to make the purse. I know this probably isn't a great description, so here is the picture of the finished purse:

Finished purse decorated with a flower I made later

I had done sewing before so once I had made the rectangle I folded it up into the purse shape and sewed up the sides. I didn't add any closing mechanism, the button and the flower are just for decoration. After I finished the purse I realised that it looked a bit plain, so I went back on YouTube and found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6sW_nNpp14 by DreamBIGLover. This is definitely the video that inspired me to love crochet, I am eternally grateful to this video!

The same person who made that video also made other videos about making butterflies etc., so I thought I'd also put in here some pictures of my practice decorations:



Anyway, I've probably rambled on enough, I'd love to hear about other people's first projects and how they went! Please comment if you have a few minutes :)

Isobel Hope


No comments:

Post a Comment